1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
We're a 5 piece progressive death metal band from Vancouver, B.C. We formed the framework for the band in 2013 and are now releasing our first full length record titled The Passenger on September 15th via Basick Records.
2. You have an album coming out in September, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from your previous demo and EP?
We've all progressed as musicians and writers since the release of our EP, we all come from very different musical backgrounds and harbour drastically different tastes - I feel the diversity of what inspires us as individuals has lead us to a sound that is uniquely ours. The Passenger is a strong representation of where we're at and where we're going with our music.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
‘The Passenger’ speaks of personal development, relationships, and flawed leaders while directing the bulk of the albums lyrics towards extending support to my sister who suffers from brain cancer.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Neck Of The Woods'
We wanted something ambiguous that didn't pigeonhole us as a death metal band while representing our fondness for our home in the pacific northwest.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We recently performed as direct support for the band Every Time I Die, that was a really good one. We tend to jump around quite a bit, during our shows its clear that we love playing live, the goal is always to direct the crowd to an attentive and involved state - to let go of everything around themselves and lose themselves in the music.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
We will be doing a run of western Canada in September while we plan to begin touring the states in early 2018
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
We are actually signed to Basick Records within Europe while we remain unsigned in North America.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of progressive death metal?
So far so good! Seems like quite a few people are comparing our sound to early Opeth which is a pretty huge compliment as all of us in NOTW love their work.
9. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I see us further refining the sound we're currently working with while drawing some new lines based on new influences.
10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Our guitarist Dave is heavily inspired by bands like Between the Buried and Me, Opeth and Gojira, our bassist is quite fond of more classic sounding heavy metal, our guitarist Travis has a sweet spot for pop punk while our drummer is hooked on bands like Fallujah, Intervals and some EDM. Im all over the map but lately have been hooked on soul and swing.
11. What are some of your non-musical interests?
Skateboarding, lake swimming, camping, hiking, dirt biking, sunny days in the park, drawing, design, film, disc gold, the list goes on, there are too many interesting things in the world and not nearly enough time to do it all!
12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I hope people enjoy our new record, we're proud of it and can't wait to play your city!